Friday, August 15, 2008

Dress up box: For Babatana...



"Lets dress up!"

I open the jewellery box, fumbling for the key... there's a familiar chink chink as I decide to wind it up just for fun, a melody... so familiar yet so far removed transporting us into the moment.

Unlocking the thick stubborn lock. We pull open the the long forgotten musty trunk.
Why not? - lets lose ourselves in this world of glittery, shiny, Lacy fancifulness!
We reach, grabbing, pulling, dropping, layers and layers of a bygone era on the floor, a sea swelling around us enveloping us in a fantasy entirely of our own.

"Paint my eyes, I'll paint yours - no one will know who we are!"
I'm a fairy, you're a queen... We cover ourselves in costume jewellery and encrust our eyes in diamante's... gold, silver, ivy green, cobalt and umber and ultramarine...
The choices are endless and our imaginations run wild with the possibilities...

You are a wicked witch and I am snow white... I wrap myself in crisp lace and you swath yourself in velvet... we twirl and spin and prance around... I'm laughing now uncontrollably, so are you... We collapse in a fit of giggles simultaneously catching glances in the mirror of ourselves and then each other.

We are ridiculous and we are tired - what a wonderful afternoon of playful mischief. How carefree we are I think to myself as the last piece of chiffon and trim slips back into the trunk, I hope we'll stay like this. I never want to be too old for dress up!

No comments: